Monday, November 28, 2011

I Was Lost


Advent Devotional by Lori Pankonin

“For this son of mine was dead and is alive again;
he was lost and is found. So they began to celebrate.”
—Luke 15:24—

I think back to an experience when I felt lost. My husband, Russ, and I had gone to a governmental affairs conference in Washington D.C. with my parents. My choice of activities one afternoon was to tour the Holocaust Museum with other newspaper folks. Rather than returning on the bus, I’d take a cab to Arlington National Cemetery where some of our Nebraska delegation had special permission to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I would meet Russ there.
The Holocaust Museum was gut wrenching, the stories of pain and suffering physically and emotionally made real. I would have liked to stay longer but it was time to go. As I was waiting for a cab, someone mentioned that the subway system was just down the block. Well I hadn’t ridden the subway yet this trip but did recall that it’s a great way to get around. And Arlington Cemetery was indeed one of the stops.
I found the entrance and was reading the maps when someone gave me hints that I needed to get on the blue line. Insecurity hit me and I found myself praying for guidance and safety. Down the cement stairs I went and asked the other folks waiting if this was the blue line. They didn’t speak English so there was no assurance there but whoosh, up pulled the next train. Not even realizing how totally blind I was, I stepped on the train. Oh my gosh!! There sat my parents. I could have stepped in the door just feet away and wouldn’t have even known they were close. Or minutes later, I’d have been on a different train. Here I was in my adult life as petrified as a young child who found my Mommy and Daddy.
As it turned out, we were not on the blue line. Dad realized we were going the wrong way and we jumped off that train at the next stop and quickly got on another. We literally ran through the cemetery, getting to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier just in time. There was Russ so very relieved. He had started wondering where he would start if I didn’t show up. That was in the day before cell phones.
I was beyond thankful and truly sensed that the Lord put my parents there for guidance. I was lost but they found me.
This makes me relate to the above Bible verse. What a celebration for those who have strayed from loving Jesus if they are found and return to the life of trusting Him.

Prayer:
Loving God, may we remember how much more safe and secure we feel when we have You to turn to. Be with us when we start to stray and help us to find others who need led to You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment